Did you know dark armpits could be a sign of high blood sugar? Before we go thinking that a black armpit is only as a result of shaving, dead cells, etc. only please have a blood sugar test particularly if you are a bit overweight. In this case management of weight via exercise and healthy eating is helpful.
Having dark armpits are a very common problem, and can be very embarrassing especially if you have to raise your arms in public places. Many factors can contribute to underarm darkening including shaving, sweating, allergies, dead skin cells, hair removal creams, and even certain deodorants. However, there are some remedies one can try to brighten dark armpits.
Be careful the type of roll on you buy, be sure you do not react to any of its components. If you feel a burning sensation on the intact skin when you apply your roll-on, it may mean you are allergic. Find a hypo-allergenic one.
2. Scrub armpit
Scrub armpit with exfoliators such as oats, sugar, lemon and facial scrubs at least once a month or 2 days after shaving.
3. Shaving direction
Shave or remove hair following the direction of hair growth.
Fruits are widely known as an excellent bleaching agent for skin discolorations, including dark armpits. The great thing about using lemon is that it not only acts as a natural bleaching agent but is also an exfoliating agent to remove dead skin cells that may be contributing to underarm darkening. The only adverse effect of using lemon is that it can sometimes be harsh on the skin causing irritations. Here is how to use lemon to brighten dark armpits.
• Slice lemon in wedges and rub a lemon wedge on skin for a few minutes before bathing, you can also sprinkle some sugar on the lemon wedge for extra exfoliating effects.
• Lemon juice can also be combined with a pinch of salt, turmeric, and honey to make a paste that is applied to armpits for 10 minutes before bathing. These remedies can be done 3-4 times in a week for good results.
This is another natural bleaching agent with mild acidic properties, because of this potato will also brighten the armpits and not bring about any harsh effects like lemon. Here are some ways you can use the potato to brighten dark armpits.
• Rub a thin slice of potato on the armpits for about ten minutes, then rinse with warm water.
• Optionally, get juice from the potato and apply it to underarms for 10-15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
For good results do either of this twice a day, once in the morning and again at night.
6. Baking soda
Baking soda is a good exfoliate, it helps in removing dead skin cells, and unclogging pores, and this, in turn, reduces darkening of the armpits. To use baking soda directly mix it with tap water or rosewater to make a thick paste, then apply the paste to dark areas of the armpit, washing it off after a few minutes.
Cucumber is commonly used to remove dark circles from under the eyes, but it can also be used to brighten dark underarms. The reason being cucumber lightening properties, and can act as a natural bleaching agent. Here are some ways to use cucumber to lighten dark armpits.
• You can rub a slice of cucumber on your armpits once or twice a day.
• Apply cucumber juice to armpits once a twice a day also.
• Combine cucumber juice with turmeric powder and lemon juice to make a paste for a stronger effect. The three ingredients will work together to brighten, exfoliate, and soothe the skin. Apply the paste to armpit skin, leave it for 20 minutes, and rinse off with warm water.
8. Milk and Honey
Together these two work well to lighten skin tone. Combine 1tbsp of milk, 1tbsp of honey and a little turmeric powder or lemon juice. Add the mixture to the armpits, leave to dry then wash off with lukewarm water.
9. Orange Peel
Orange peel can be used to make a good scrub with high exfoliating properties. To do this, peel an orange, dry up the skin, and grind into fine powder. This powder should be mixed with rose water, and milk to form a paste that is used to gently scrub underarms for 5 minutes, finish by rinsing armpits with cool water.
10. Use Underarm Whitening Creams
For those wary or skeptical of natural remedies, there are few products one can use to brighten underarm skin.
• Clear Essence: Quick tone Maxi-tone Lotion, Lemon oil lotion, carrot oil lotion
• Forever Living Products: Epiblanc lotion, Sonya exfoliating cleanser and scrub, body scrub, alpha E factor
• Garnier Mineral Light Extra Whitening Deodorant Roll-on
• DR skin brightening lotion
• Kojic soap
• Vitamin C oils
Dietary supplements that can help include but not limited to vitamins ACE, magnesium, Fields of Greens, garlic thyme, licorice, the B vitamins and more.
The next time you see someone with a dark armpit, don’t put it down to poor hygiene, pass on these things you have read.